The Society for the Promotion of Manual Practice Osteopathy/OsteopathyBC (OBC) is committed to protecting the privacy of all personal data you provide for general inquiries, membership and registration for any of the services and/or events OBC provides. The following statements describe how your data will be used, what it will be used for, and how long it will be stored for. You are thereby fully informed prior to you submitting your personal information and giving your consent to OBC to process your inquiry, create your membership, register and/or make a purchase.
Please contact OBC’s Society Management Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any concerns and/or if you have any questions regarding your data privacy.
Why are we processing your personal data?
When you visit OBC’s website, we only collect your personal information when it is explicitly requested - you apply for or renew your membership, for OBC Workshops or other OBC events, make a purchase, submit information about yourself related to an inquiry, and/or sign up to receive the OBC e-newsletter and other communications from OBC.
Who will have access to your data?
Your data will be shared, in a safe and secure manner, with other organizations and third parties associated with OBC membership, events and/or services for which you have registered. This is in order to complete activities such as processing your: membership, registration, hotel booking, requested services, as well as communicate with you about these activities, OBC’s work, and other information related to our mission.
Organizations that may have access to your data include the following:
- Sea to Sky Meeting and Association Management Inc., as the Society Management Office, for the purposes of membership, extended health insurance coverage, event registration and participation, requested services, and other related communications
- Professional Conference Organizers of the events for the purpose of managing the events
- Conference hotels for the purpose of booking your hotel room and managing that booking
- Fellow event participants, including sponsors and exhibitors, through participant lists and/or event Apps and other devices, for the purposes of connecting and communicating prior, during and post event
- Other service providers, such as hosting, software maintenance, credit card processing (https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/gdpr-readiness-requirements), e-newsletter tools, registration software, and journal distributors. These service providers may be supplied with or have access to the information you provide through OBC’s website, but only for the purpose of providing these services to OBC or on OBC’s behalf. These service providers are obligated to keep confidential the information you provide through OBC’s website and need to be Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliant in order to work with OBC.
- Member volunteers, such as the Board and Committee members, may have access to certain portions of the information you provided in the course of their role as Board or Committee member.
OBC does not sell, rent or exchange our members’, event registrants’ and other stakeholders’ contact details.
How will my data be collected and stored?
Personal data will be collected safely and securely, and may be stored and processed in Canada, or any other country in which OBC, its vendors, or partners, maintain facilities. Adequate security measures have been taken to safeguard your information against possible misuse or unauthorised access as much as it is feasible.
At any time, you may:
- Ask what personal data we hold about you and how that data is used
- Ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data we hold about you or ask us to delete your personal data
- Opt out of any marketing or other communications that we or our third-party suppliers may send to you*
- Have the right to withdraw your consent for OBC to use your personal data
*Please note that members will continue to receive certain notifications related to their membership as per OBC’s bylaws and stated in the membership agreement.
How long will we store your personal data?
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, OBC will keep it for as long as necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. In the event of a data security breach, OBC will notify you within 72 hours of discovering the breach.
General Email Inquiries
General inquiries or complaints related to members of OBC may be shared with member volunteers, such as the Board or Committee members whose involvement may be required to effectively process your inquiry. If and when required, information provided for member-related inquiries may also be shared with the member to whom the inquiry pertains.
Cookies and Log Files
Our Site also uses log files to track site usage and trends. When you visit Our Site, we automatically retain certain information that your computer sends to us, such as the URL of the site from which you came and the site to which you are going when you leave OBC, your IP address, and the type of web browser you are using. We use this information to analyze usage of Our Site and to improve the user experience. This information does not identify you personally.
If there is a discrepancy between the information located on this website and paper-based information, the paper-based information shall take precedence.
The opinions and views expressed are the sole responsibility of the speaker/author. OBC does not endorse or accept responsibility for the accuracy of the material presented. All information presented should be used in the context of current/recent information and patient specific clinical situations.